This recipe makes 8 servings. I tweaked a recipe I found on allrecipes.com to make this variation. It received rave reviews at my “dinner and a movie” night.
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta (1 box)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Traditional, which was kinda sweet, but went perfectly with the sour cream)
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used light)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
- In a large skillet, brown onion in olive oil over medium heat until it is translucent and almost caramelized. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes. Take off heat and mix sauce with cooked pasta
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 ziti and sauce mixture, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 ziti and sauce mixture and mozzarella cheese. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.