30 New Adventures Before 30.

I’m turning 29 later this month. That means I only have a little over 1 year left of being in my carefree 20′s. There are a bunch of things that I want to do while I’m still young and spry. Similarly there are a bunch of things that I think are good things to know how to do in general, and definitely would like to learn them before I hit my 4th decade.

I’ve decided to be like a million other people and make a list of 30 things that I’d like to do, try, learn, or re-try before I hit the big 3. oh. I think it’s totally doable and my list an extended version of a bunch of things that I’d like to do. And I reserve the right to change things out and add to as I see fit. Here we go: (in no particular order)

1. Purchase & use a hammock in my yard.
  2. Fix my lower back tattoo (finally, after 10 years of saying that I should!)
  3. Get the new tattoo that I’ve been mulling over for over a year. (It’s been a year & I still want it, so I think its time!)
  4. Take part in a beach bonfire.
  5. Go to NASCAR!
  6. Learn how to cook Coq Au Vin.
  7. Learn how to braise a huge delicious monster hunk of beef.
  8. Practice alcohol abstinence for a month.
  9. Shoot arrows at random shit.
  10. Drink out of a fishbowl.
  11. Run a mile. (This body wasn’t built for running, so this should be interesting.)
  12. Run 5K. (This should be doubly interesting.)
  13. Learn how to can something savory. Like pickles. Or tomato sauce.
  14. Go winter surfing in New England.
  15. Go vegetarian for 2 weeks (organic & locally sourced when possible & maybe for a month if I get my act together.)
  16. Watch a sunrise.
  17. Watch the sun set.
  18. Visit a new continent.
  19. Go on a road trip without a destination in mind.
  20. Travel solo internationally.
  21. Learn how to disassemble, clean & reassemble a gun.
  22. Play paintball.
  23. Paint a mural.
  24. Work as an artist’s model.
  25. Model in a Fashion show.
  26. Go fishing.
  27. Learn how to gut and clean a fish.
  28. Go snowboarding. (Not on the bunny slope & without the day ending in a temper tantrum, haha)
  29. Rent a car on my own.
  30. Go skinny dipping!
  31. Read 15 new books.
  32. Go on a bike-riding day trip.
  33. Run away & join the circus…. (This is open for interpretation obviously…)
  34. Go sky diving.

Obviously some of these are contradicting. Like trying to follow a vegetarian diet. And then cooking meat, going fishing & butchering fish… But I’m kinda a walking contradiction in general.

Anything I’m totally missing? Anything that’s a really bad idea? How about you? What do you have on your Adventuresome To-do List?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to 30 New Adventures Before 30.

1. Devon says:

Awesome list! I’m excited about: #1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17, 28, 29, and 30! :)

2. Mom says:

You’ve already gone fishing, hon. And it’s going to be hard to go winter surfing before your birthday…

3. Emma says:

Mom – I know I’ve been fishing when I was like, 5, but I was hoping to learn the ropes a little more from what I remember with Dad. Which was getting the lines stuck in trees and listening to him curse. :)

Also, this list is of things to do before I turn 30…. I turn 29 this year….. So plenty of time for winter surfing.

4. [...] Whatever. I’m not sure exactly what I learned from this experiment that I didn’t already know somewhere in the depths of my soul. Maybe this was just a masochistic exercise in self-denial. Or possibly it ended up being something life changing… But probably not. I’m not sure I’m ready or willing to swear off alcohol all together. After all, if I swore off alcohol entirely, how would i be able to taste the awesome Coq au Vin that I want to learn how to make…. (Number 11.) [...]

5. Al says:

just noticed this a few days ago. I think i may an idea or 2:

and if youre serious about a 5K, me and a bunch of friends are running this one. The Tavern in Central to the Tavern in Porter. I’m sure it will involve post-race beer.

6. Emma says:

Hey Alan!!! Welcome! I’ve been scoping out your blog & am totally capping your general idea of trying a bunch of new stuff. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Thanks for the heads up on the tavern to tavern race…. I’m not sure if a month & a half is enough time for me to get in fighting form tho… I’m totally not a runner, more of a “walk-short sprint-walk-short sprint-gasp for breath-walk-walk-walk-short sprint” kinda runner. I was thinking that I’d start with a mile & then go from there…. I’ll see what I can do…..

I’d totally be up for helping out with a bunch of stuff on your list too; there’s a bunch of fun stuff on there!

7. Jenny says:

Emma this is such a great idea! I’m totally inspired!!!

8. Emma says:

Hey Jenny! Thanks for visiting, glad you dig it!